“According to Healthline, psoriasis does not affect a woman’s ability to get pregnant.”
Experiencing psoriasis during pregnancy can be a unique journey, and it’s only natural to have questions and concerns. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll address common queries and offer valuable tips for managing psoriasis during this transformative period in your life.
1. Will I experience a flare during pregnancy?
One of the most pressing questions on the minds of expectant mothers with psoriasis is whether pregnancy will affect their skin condition. Research indicates that approximately 55% of women with psoriasis notice an improvement in their symptoms during pregnancy. However, the remaining 45% may experience no change or even a worsening of their condition. Keep in mind that individual experiences can vary, and the way psoriasis behaves during pregnancy is unique to each person.
2. Can I still treat my psoriatic disease?
Your health and the health of your baby are top priorities during pregnancy. If you have psoriasis, it’s crucial to consult your healthcare provider as soon as possible to discuss your treatment options. While some medications may need to be adjusted or temporarily discontinued during pregnancy, there are still safe and effective ways to manage psoriasis. Your healthcare team will provide guidance on the best course of action to ensure both you and your baby stay healthy.
I opted to go off my biologic when I started family planning. I went back on it when I was finished nursing my second daughter. My girls are only 20 months apart. I went from pregnant to nursing, to pregnancy AND nursing, to just nursing again. 1,267 days in a row spent pregnant and/or nursing!
During both pregnancies, my skin cleared to about 95%. After both my girls were born, my skin started to flare. It was only 2 weeks after my older daughter, Reece was born, and approximately 8 weeks after my little one, Nico was born. The circumstances of their births couldn’t have been more different. Reece was a stressful, emergency c-section 2 days before her due date in a snowy, freezing January and Nico was born on her due date with an uneventful, calm vbac on a sunny, warm day in September.
I hypothesize that the stress of Reece’s birth, longer recovery, and my grandmother passing three weeks later may have contributed to the shorter timeframe for my flare. Stress has always been the major contributor to my psoriasis flares.
3. Will my child have psoriasis?
There is no way to know if your sweet baby will also have psoriasis.
Understanding the genetic aspects of psoriasis is essential for expectant parents. According to the National Psoriasis Foundation, the likelihood of a child developing psoriasis is influenced by various factors. If one parent has psoriasis, there’s roughly a 10% chance the child will develop it. This probability increases to 50% if both parents have the condition. However, it’s important to note that even with the genetic predisposition, environmental triggers play a crucial role in whether psoriasis actually develops.
My grandma had psoriasis, but none of her children did. Then I was the one out of her ten grandchildren to get it. Lucky me!
So far, neither of my daughters have shown any signs of psoriasis. If they do, I will be equipped to help them manage their journey, both mentally and physically.
4. How to manage psoriasis symtoms
The below suggestions can help make your symptoms more comfortable, but make sure to talk to your doctor if more aggressive treatments may be needed.
- Topical Treatments: Safe options like coconut oil can provide relief for dry, itchy skin.
- Meditation: Stress reduction through mindfulness practices can alleviate psoriasis triggers.
- Nutrition: Introducing anti-inflammatory foods into your diet can help reduce inflammation.
- Physical Activity: Engage in safe physical activity with clearance from your healthcare provider.
- Vitamin D: Spend time outdoors to combat Vitamin D deficiency, which is common in psoriasis patients.
Most of all, enjoy this special time even with a psoriasis flare. Make yourself as comfortable as possible, and overdose on baby snuggles.
5. Embrace the Special Moments
In the midst of psoriasis challenges during pregnancy, remember that every baby is a blessing. Embrace this unique time with your little one, prioritize self-care, and cherish the moments filled with baby snuggles. With proper management and a supportive healthcare team, you can navigate psoriasis during pregnancy while focusing on the joys of motherhood.