Since being diagnosed with psoriasis 19 years ago, each new flare of mine begins with a sense of helplessness.
With my current flare, it started with a few spots on my face and legs and then I noticed a few more on my arms and chest and with each passing day I get itchier and spottier on my arms, hands, legs, chest, back, scalp and face. It’s an incredibly helpless feeling knowing that this is just the start of another chapter in my psoriasis journey. Its frustrating as hell not knowing what this flare will bring, what treatments it will react to or how long it will be around. With this flare, I am currently breastfeeding with no planned end in sight, so am going to try to stay away from any prescription medications and focus on organic, natural treatments first.
So now that I’ve accepted that this thing is happening again, its time to share with my plan to kick it’s ass! I’m an avid list maker and like to physically see my to do’s, so I started by writing down everything I planned to do and all the products I was using to see what needed to be adjusted or added. Then used my new marker set from Michaels to give it its own flare 🙂
I broke it up into three different topics: mind, body and skin. But you could argue that some topics fall into more than one or all categories.
I believe that keeping your mind stress-free and positive can play a large role in combatting psoriasis and I plan to do this by blogging, exercising and meditation. For meditation, I like to use the app Buddhify.
In addition to an overall (most of the time, but I still get pizza right?) healthy nutrition plan, my daily intake will include:
- 8 bottles of water – Keep in mind that I am breastfeeding so have to drink even more water than usual to maintain my milk supply
- Green Juice – you can find lots of different recipes to your own taste, but my go-to recipe includes spinach, cucumber, lemon, ginger, celery and a green apple
- Vitamins – I am currently taking Garden of Life Prenatal raw vitamins
- Turmeric Tea – I like this recipe by Meghan Telpher
The products I am currently using on my body include:
- A mixture of 1 part apple cider vinegar plus 1 part water, followed by an application of coconut oil
- I also use coconut oil on my face, body and scalp
- For face wash & moisturizer, I use Acure Organics products
- For body wash, I am using CeraVe baby wash
Keep in mind that I created this plan for myself through research and previous experiences. I am not a health care professional, so advise you consult your own doctor before starting anything new.
I would love to hear your feedback on my plan and if you think there’s anything to adjust or add 🙂