I only endorse products I’ve personally used or come highly recommended by trusted peers. This page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
As the temperatures continue to soar and the sun shines down with its fiery glow, I find myself wondering what are the best ways to manage psoriasis flares during a heatwave! Chill out, because I’ve got you covered with some hot tips to keep your cool while basking in the warmth of the season.
- Embrace the Magic of Moisturizer: Psoriasis tends to worsen when your skin becomes dry and dehydrated. The heatwave can be unforgiving, so let’s double down on moisturizing! Opt for fragrance-free and gentle moisturizers with nourishing ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, or coconut oil. Applying your moisturizer right after a refreshing shower will lock in the moisture and prevent those pesky flare-ups from making an appearance.
- Hydration is the Key: Just like plants need water to thrive, so does your body. In a heatwave, the risk of dehydration is higher, and staying hydrated becomes vital for managing psoriasis. Make friends with water and carry a reusable water bottle with you wherever you go. Trust me, sipping on water throughout the day not only helps your skin but also keeps your energy levels up during the scorching days.
- Shade Love: While the sun can be tempting, it’s essential to find your shade haven during peak hours because trust me a sunburn will make it 100x worse! A burn can be harsh on psoriasis-prone skin, triggering inflammation and redness. Plan your outdoor activities early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun’s rays are gentler. And when you’re out and about, flaunt your favorite wide-brimmed hat and flowy clothing for that added sun protection and style.
- Sunscreen, Always: We all love a sun-kissed glow, but for those with psoriasis flares, sunburn is the enemy. Ensure your armor against the sun by generously applying broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30. Don’t forget to reapply every two hours, especially if you’re swimming or sweating, to keep your skin safe and happy.
- Ditch the Heavy Fabrics: Breezy and lightweight fabrics are your best friends during the heatwave and psoriasis flares. Opt for loose-fitting, breathable clothing that allows your skin to breathe and prevents irritation caused by friction. Natural fabrics like cotton and linen work wonders in keeping you cool while avoiding skin flare-ups. I live in wide leg cotton or linen pants and maxi dresses during the summer heat.
- Stay Chill: Indulge in soothing practices to keep stress at bay. Stress can be a trigger for psoriasis, and heatwaves often come with their fair share of discomfort. Practice mindfulness techniques like meditation or yoga, take refreshing dips in a pool, or simply find a quiet spot to unwind with a good book. Your skin will thank you for the moments of peace and relaxation.
- Seek Shelter from Air Conditioning: While air conditioning can provide relief from the heat, excessive use may dry out the air, making it less friendly to your skin. Find a balance by using a humidifier to add moisture to the air. I use one in my office during the workday and one at night while I sleep. This will help combat the drying effects of air conditioning and keep your skin happy.
Remember that managing psoriasis flares during a heatwave is all about finding what works best for you. Embrace these tips, and you’ll be well-equipped to conquer the heat while keeping those pesky psoriasis flares in check. Cheers to a (hopefully) itch-free summer filled with sunshine and smiles!
Remember, I’m not a medical professional, so always consult your dermatologist or healthcare provider for personalized advice on how to manage psoriasis flares during a heatwave. Stay cool, my friends!
If you liked this article, check out 7 Proven Ways to Manage Stress and Psoriasis Flares